Friday, August 17, 2012

Influences by Johnte Cunningham


Johnte is an Urban Artistry performer.
Many musical influences have had a big impact on my life. Through music, style , dance etc. My musical taste is heavily influenced by the music I heard when I was a kid watching MTV. It was a mixture of Rock/Punk and Hip-Hop/R&B.   As I got older and started to meet new people who soon became my friends, they were listening to music I’d ever heard of. They introduced me to different producers and DJ’s so I got into different kinds of music like Prefuse 73 , Nujabes and DJ Shadow.
Nujabes is best known for his approach to hip hop beats, often blending jazz influences into his songs creating a mellow, nostalgic and atmospheric sound.
His genre-bending works of art merge elements of funkrockhip hopambientjazzsoul, and used-bin found records.
so...
I blended everything together once I got my iPod. At the time I felt like I was the only kid in my neighborhood listening to this kind of music due to the influences of people who had other tastes.  The diversity in my taste in music had a domino effect and influenced my dancing on a more creative note. I had influences from the sounds I heard, the lyrics, the style of the artist and story. That’s what I love the best... because with all of that, there will never be a dull moment.
I’m a big melting pot of everything I’ve encountered, heard, seen or done.

No comments: